Sunday, July 21, 2013

Anticipating the Strange Things Tenants Might Do

We once had a tenant who borrowed my stepladder two months into a twelve month apartment rental. After a month I went to get it back, but it was gone. "Where's my ladder?" I ask.

"I dunno."

We once had an apartment tenant who moved out and left the place spotlessly clean, but took every working light bulb from every ceiling fixture in every room. Of course, I did not discover this until I went to show the apartment after dark one winter evening.

Would a tenant ever steal your refrigerator? Maybe. If you inadvertently rent to a junkie, it's possible. That's why it's smart to make a list of appliances with year, make, model and serial number. If you ever need to file a police report for a missing kitchen appliance, they'll ask.